Geological and exploration studies
This province has a long history of mining testified by various slag heaps of traditional smeltries.
Systematic studies for geological and exploration studies have been started in 1973 in the framework of east Iran project. Most of mineral resource potentials are discovered during the course of preparation of 1:100,000 and 1:250,000 maps.
4-1- Geological studies
Geological mapping projects are carried out in two different scales as follows:
A-1:250,000 geological mapping.
The whole are of this province is covered by 16 sheet of 1:250,000
quadrangles. All geological maps of this scale have been prepared and published with the exception of those sheets which are below 26 (latitude). The areas below 26 latitude are covered directly by 1:100,000 maps and their compilation to produce map of 1:250,0000 seemed to be unnecessary.
B-1:100,000 geological mapping
The most mineral resource promising areas of the province are covered by 1:100,000 geological maps. Desertic areas and plains are excluded by this type of mapping. These 1:100,000 maps and relevant reports have been published.
C- Thematic geological studies.
In addition to all published 1:250, 000 and 1:100,000 maps same thematic maps have been prepared.
Some major important maps of these types are listed as follows:
- Structural and geological map of hard rocks
- Structural and geological map of hard rocks
- Metallogenic map of north Zahedan.
-4- exploration studies
A major part of exploration studies is devoted to geochemical prospecting which are either regional or semi- detailed, detailed one. Some thematic studies are also carried out.
Regional explorations are followed by using hammer prospection, stream
sampling and ground radiometric methods. More over, following studies can be pointed out:
- Metallogenical modelling of Sistan-va-Baluchistan province (1998) by compilation, completion and correction of existing data for delineation of target areas.
- Exploration studies in a 30,000 km2 area by Zarcan Company of Canada.
B- Thematic studies
In addition to all aforementioned exploration efforts, 20 projects of exploration have been carried out using national and provincial funds.
Many metallic and non metallic deposits are discovered in the course of execution of these projects. According to the report of Industries and Mines organization of this province 20 million tons of copper and 100,000 tons of chromite have been proved in this province Moreover magnesite, talc, huntite, silica pozzolan, marble and limestone in considerable amounts are reported.
Followings are the list of projects carried out by industries and mines organization of this province.
List of Exploration projects of Sistan-va-Balu
No. Title Year
1 Exploration of copper in chehelkureh 1974
2 Geological and exploration studies in Sistan-va-Baluchistan province 1983-1985
3 Mineral directory and resources of province 1986-1989
4 Semi-detailed Talc Exploration 1987
5 Zircon prospection in southern Baluchistan 1990
6 Zircon prospection (detailed) in province of Sistan-va-Baluchistan 1990
7 Detailed polymetallic prospection in Taftan 1990-1992
8 Mineral resource survey of the province (project No.4) 1990-1998
9 Semi detailed exploration of garnet and andalusite in Dargiaban Bazman 1994
10 Detailed exploration of garnet and andalusite in Dargiaban Bazman 1994
11 Detailed exploration of Gunich manganese 1990
12 Exploration of raw material for Khash Cemen factory 1983
13 Preliminary exploration of chromite in chahhezar 1992-1993
14 Silica exploration in Dargiaban 1992
15 Preliminary exploration of Lakhshak granite 1993
16 Preliminary exploration of heavy minerals in coastal plain of Makarn 1984
17 Exploration of magnesite in Juraq area 1984
18 Geology and preliminary evaluation of manganese mineralization potential in Gunich 1988
19 Preliminary geochemical exploration of Chehelkureh area Zahedan
20 Semi-detailed exploration of Sefidabeh antimony 1998
21 Semi-detailed exploration of Khesrin Kaolin 1998
22 Exploration of ornamental stones in Khash-Zahedan 1998
23 Preliminary and semi-detailed exploration of Rameshk copper deposit 1998
24 Preliminary exploration of Khash Kaolin deposit 1998
25 Marine geology and mineral resource potential 2000
26 Detailed exploration of Sefidabeh antimony 2000
Following title represent part of other exploration activities in this province:
1. Project for preliminary and semi-detailed exploration of Shurab magnesite (Industries and Mines organization of Sistan-va-Baluchistan province (1997).
2. Report on the explorations in 1:100,000 Nagissan sheet (Geological Survey of Iran 1991).
3. Preliminary report on the reconnaissance study of gypsum deposits in some part of Sistan-va-Baluchistan province (Geological Survey of Iran 1975).
4. Project for geophysical studies of Sistan plain (Jihad-e-Daneshgahi Esfahan University 2000).
5. Geological report on lead-zinc deposits of Zahedan area. (Ministry of Mines and Metals 1988).
6. Report on the geology of lead-zinc deposits of Zahedan area and proposed plan for semi-detailed exploration of Etsagi deposit (Ministry of Mines and Metals 1989).
7. Semi-detailed exploration report of Medoohach chromite deposit (Bureau of mines and metal of Sistan-va-Baluchistan province 1998).
It is worth mentioning that following thematic exploration projects are actually progressing:
- Polymetallic mineralization in Taftan/
- Lar copper deposit
- Feasibility study of copper ore beneficiation in Sistan-va-Baluchistan province.
- Polymetallic mineralization in Asagi, Janja, Siasteragi.
- Ore dressing plant installation for garnet, andalusite, feldspar, silica and Kaolin.
C: Geophysical prospections
Geophysical prospections are either regional or thematic. They are mainly directed toward the exploration of copper, asbestos, water and polymetallic deposits.
Chehelkureh Copper x -- --
Hajat Mine Asbestos -- -- x
Chehelkureh Water -- x --
Taftan Polymetal x -- --
3- Marine geology research
Marine geology researches have been developed in Sistan-va-Baluchistan province in order to explore the mineral resources of coastal sands, construction of marine structures (military or development). More than one thousand kilometer of Oman beach belongs to Sistan-va- Baluchistan province. Therefore a project for marine geological studies has been started. Material and equipment needed for this project is partly furnished and training of staff for running this project is progressing.
Geological reconnaissance has al ready been started and is under serious progression.