The structural position of Iran in Alpine-Himalayan orogene and its locating in collision margin of two continents, Eurasia and Gondowana, have caused different geosciences phenomena to be noticeable from stratigraphy, magmatism, metamorphism, mineralization, natural hazards and etc. point of view. Therefore, gathering and processing the existing data, especially, along the main roads of Iran has been put in the program of National Geosciences Database of Iran in order to achieve two following goals:
- Offering geosciences researchers the processed data from Iran geology along the main roads.
- Preparing a background for broadcasting geosciences in society in order to familiarize the public with the earth knowledge as well as its fundamental role in developmental plans.
It is necessary to say that since the beginning of research activities of The Geological Survey of Iran, a considerable amount of referable geology maps and reports have been produced that can be considered as the “basis” of the geology atlas of Iran’s roads. However; in order to review and also supply images from “special views”, part of the activities has been field work.
The prementioned atlases not only indicate the geological characteristics of Iran but also gather writings and images of cultural, historical and engineering places, natural sights together with part of the predicted goals. In other words, each atlas will contain the data below:
- Geological properties of the almost 10 to 15-kilometer-wide path from two sides of the road.
- Geology map legend indicating genus, age, age relationship, economic potential and……..of geological units.
- Images of special geological phenomena arranged with a simple precise and concise explanation.
- Images of cultural, scientific, artistic and…..phenomena in the domain under the cover of the atlas arranged with name, history and etc.
Part of National Geosciences Database of Iran goals for comprehensive “informing” in geosciences and geotechniques is accomplished through supplying such atlases.
National Geosciences Database of Iran